About Me

My photo
I wander to forget, and forget to wander.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year, New Beginnings

Isn't that the way of every new year? There's just something about the prospect of starting over, having to adjust to writing different numbers in the year on your checks, feeling like everything is possible with a whole new set of 365 days ahead of you, making resolutions for the coming year that may or may not come true but look too fabulous on the very first few days to ever doubt.

I do love new years.

2012 was quite a busy year, and quite a good one. Made it into nursing school (and survived the first semester), was inducted into the honor society for academic excellence, met a whole lot of new, wonderful people, and watched Lilya gain a lot in vocabulary, personality, and independence. I spent a lot of time being rather busy, and had to learn how to put aside time for myself, and pursue endeavors that were only for me.

Still, I didn't find a lot of time for the things that I really used to enjoy doing. The main thing I found myself missing was writing. I didn't spend anywhere near as much time as I would have liked doing that, and the main reason was that I just didn't make it a priority. 

So, this year, taking my lessons learned from the past year, I've decided that for my resolution, I'm going to write a blog every day, of at least one good thing that happened that day. Even if it's a short paragraph describing just one thing, I'm going to make it a priority to write about all the good things that happened in the year, because too often, I find myself focusing on the negative aspects, since those take a lot more energy and input than positive things.

That and I like the thought of being able to look back on 2013 at the beginning of 2014, when I'm getting ready to graduate, and having the ability to look through and appreciate all the good things in my life. I don't really do that often enough, so why not?

------------------------

So, to begin the year, I'll start with a good thing about today.

Although the new year started off at midnight a bit less stellar than I would have liked (Lilya woke up around midnight because she had vomited all over her own sheets, and then again all over my sheets when I brought her to sleep with me), I got the chance to snuggle with her for a long time while she tried to fall asleep. Just her on my chest, with me sitting upright to help her belly settle while she burrowed into my body.

It's still amazing to me when she does that, and I can't help but compare her now to when I first brought her home and she wanted to sleep on me, no matter how hard I tried to get her into her own bed for more than an hour. Her entire body fit like a little frog on my chest, barely hitting my belly button at a good stretch. At eight pounds, she seemed feather-light, and there were nights I'd wake up with a start thinking she'd fallen off and I hadn't noticed.

Now, her legs go all the way down to my knees, and stretched out, she can cover the entire top of my chest and belly. At twenty-five pounds, she can actually take the breath right out of me, when she's relaxed enough. Last night, as she slept peacefully, I wondered when that little feather had turned into such a tangle of legs and arms that turned like a helicopter to get more comfortable. I don't remember exactly how that happened, but it definitely did, and I know it won't last forever.

So despite her belly being less than happy, I got one more night where I could enjoy her head on my chest, and bury my nose in head, taking in her no-longer-baby smell while she will still let me.

Only getting five hours of sleep was definitely worth that.

No comments:

Post a Comment